Senior Data Analyst
Birmingham, West Midlands
Set up under the Gambling Act 2005, the Gambling Commission is committed to safeguarding the public against any detrimental impact brought about by gambling. We do this by keeping crime out, protecting children and vulnerable people and ensuring the commercial gambling industry is run fairly and openly. We work with the legal system, the public health system, community groups and the industry itself to understand how we can protect the interests of as many people as possible, as effectively as possible.
We are now looking for a Data Analyst to join our Research and Statistics Team in Birmingham and support the development of sophisticated and innovative data products.
- Salary of c£33,000
- Civil service pension
- Flexible working
- 26 days’ holiday
- Option to buy up to five days’ extra annual leave
- Additional benefits
As data becomes an ever more important part of our work, our teams are delivering ambitious strategies to maximise our capability in this area. You’ll work with the latest tools and technology and collaborate with senior leaders to unlock the potential in our data and amplify our reach.
You will discover an organisation that is inclusive, that respects work-life balance and is completely dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential. Whether that’s through flexible working, really understanding how you work best or exposing you to real opportunities to challenge yourself, if you’re passionate about making your mark on the industry and on society, then we will help you do that.
As a Senior Data Analyst, you will be tasked with developing data products that deliver impactful insight into gambling and its regulation. Creating reports and data science tools, you will seek to deliver value to our organisation through these products.
Responsible for meeting our data needs, you will primarily use Microsoft PowerBI, you will take raw data and transform it into impactful reports which support colleagues to deliver better regulation and drive fairer and safer gambling.
Additionally, your role will involve:
- Selecting relevant data, combining it and turning it into actionable insight
- Gathering data and developing fit-for-purpose data products
- Proposing your own ideas and turning them into reality with the support of our collaborative and innovative team
- Inspiring colleagues with the possibilities offered by the inventive application of data techniques
- Driving the Commission forward into the increasingly data-led gambling environment
To be considered as a Senior Data Analyst, you will need:
- Deep data and analytical expertise
- Strong technical ability with PowerBI or equivalent
- The ability to innovate and develop novel solutions
- A deep understanding of data analytics and visualisation principles and practices; ability to design and deliver data analytics products and systems
- The ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships
- The ability to work with considerable independence and initiative
- The ability to communicate compellingly, with effective verbal and written communication; good influencing and/or negotiating skills
Coding experience, primarily with R or Python, would be beneficial to your application, as would experience in the gambling industry or a regulatory environment. Experience of working with research data sets would also be an advantage, as would experience of using SPSS.
Other organisations may call this role Statistical Analyst, Data Insight Analyst, BI Analyst, Business Information Analyst, Insight Analyst, Analyst, MI Analyst, Management Information Analyst.
The closing date for this role is the 20th April 2021.
We reserve the right to change the closing date depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Senior Data Analyst, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.