Chief Operating Officer
Birmingham, West Midlands
Set up under the Gambling Act 2005, the Gambling Commission is committed to safeguarding the public against any detrimental impact brought about by gambling. We do this by keeping crime out, protecting children and vulnerable people and ensuring the commercial gambling industry is run fairly and openly. We work with the legal system, the public health system, community groups and the industry itself to understand how we can protect the interests of as many people as possible, as effectively as possible.
We have now entered a period of strategic change as an organisation. These changes coincide with changes in the gambling industry, such as the growth of gambling online and an increasingly digital (in particular mobile) dimension to commercial gambling and the National Lottery.
We are looking for a Chief Operating Officer to join our team in Birmingham and ensure that we continue to achieve operational excellence.
- Salary of £90,000 - £110,000 per annum DOE
- Civil service pension
- Flexible working
- 26 days’ holiday
- Option to buy up to five days’ extra annual leave
- Additional benefits
There are few jobs where you can make a real difference to millions of consumers for an entire industry, the thousands of people who work in the UK gaming/gambling industry, and the future of the gambling industry as a whole.
Joining us means joining a dynamic, high profile sector and being at the cutting-edge of regulation, where the work you do has a real impact on people’s lives. It also means joining an organisation that is inclusive, that respects work-life balance and is completely dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential.
Whether that’s through flexible working, really understanding how you work best or exposing you to real opportunities to challenge yourself, if you’re passionate about making your mark on the industry and on society, then we will help you do that.
As the Chief Operating Officer, you will ensure that we use our resources in the most efficient, effective and impactful way to achieve our goal of making gambling fairer and safer.
Working closely with the Chief Executive, the Executive Team and the Board, you will oversee the development and delivery of our data and technology strategy and corporate strategies.
You will ensure that our business, financial and people plans, risk management and reporting arrangements are aligned and drive the use of key performance measures to demonstrate our impact.
Additionally, you will:
- Line manage the Chief Finance Officer, Chief People Officer, Chief Product Officer and Chief Technology Officer
- Develop and implement key areas of strategy, planning and reporting to ensure excellent operational delivery
- Help to embed a culture of continuous improvement, especially in relation to our use of data and technology, our financial management and people and organisational development
To join us as our Chief Operating Officer, you will need:
- To be a dynamic and communicative leader who is capable of winning trust
- Significant experience gained in a senior operational delivery and performance role where you led teams, as part of a wider leadership team, to deliver organisational goals and objectives
- The ability to use coaching to develop others and manage their performance to achieve agreed objectives
- A good understanding of the operational areas you will line manage and experience of managing senior professionals leading data, finance, HR and/or IT teams
- Strong stakeholder management skills and the ability to present information to a range of audiences
- A commitment to continuous improvement and experience of leading teams through change to enable improved service delivery
- The ability to strengthen reporting to the board on our operational performance and impact, financial management, people and organisational development issues and risk management
Other organisations may call this role COO, Head of Operations, Operations Director, or Senior Operations Manager.
The closing date for applications is the 13th August 2020.
We reserve the right to change the closing date depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
Interviews will be conducted via Skype and inductions will be handled remotely if necessary.
So, if you are seeking your next challenge as our Chief Operating Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.