Senior Manager - Licensing
Birmingham, West Midlands
Set up under the Gambling Act 2005, the Gambling Commission is committed to safeguarding the public against any detrimental impact brought about by gambling. We do this by keeping crime out, protecting children and vulnerable people and ensuring the commercial gambling industry is run fairly and openly. We work with the legal system, the public health system, community groups and the industry itself to understand how we can protect the interests of as many people as possible, as effectively as possible whilst also permitting gambling.
We are currently looking for a Senior Manager to join our Licensing department and support managers to achieve operational excellence within the department.
- Salary of circa £50,000 per annum
- Civil service pension
- Flexible working
- 26 days’ holiday
- Option to buy up to five days’ extra annual leave
- Additional benefits
Working in our Licensing department means helping improve how we assess who can be licensed to provide gambling services so we can regulate the industry better. From individual casino workers right through to FTSE 100 businesses, a team of decision-makers decide whether they are able to meet legislation designed to protect the public.
The department is supportive and collaborative, making data-led and risk-based decisions on issues that are continually evolving. That means we constantly look ahead and determine how best to protect the public, not just from current issues, but also from potential future threats. This continuous transformation means that Licensing strives to innovate and seeks solutions to potential challenges whilst keeping gambling safe and fair for all.
As the Senior Manager, you will drive a culture of high performance within Licensing, providing the strategic planning, direction and leadership required to enable the team to realise their full potential.
This is a broad role that will focus on operational business, continuous improvement, projects and people. Some of your duties will include:
- Ensuring performance is delivered within budget and resource constraints
- Coaching and supporting staff to take responsibility for their own development
- Analysing data to identify and manage risks that may impact future strategy and business plan developments
- Collating and using industry, customer and other insights to enhance existing processes
To join us as a Senior Manager, you will need:
- The ability to lead on strategy and business plan development, including horizon scanning, resulting in the effective implementation, delivery and monitoring of strategy and business plans
- Experience of managing and developing colleagues, including middle managers, using a coaching approach to improve business performance and build staff potential
- Experience and skills in managing and implementing change in an operational environment
- Experience of workforce planning, including reviewing departmental structures and ensuring effective succession planning
- A track record of developing and maintaining effective collaborative stakeholder relationships, both internally and externally
- Experience of interpreting complex information to inform critical decision-making and strategy development
- Experience of identifying and effectively managing risks
- Experience of managing budgets, efficiently using resources and ensuring value for money is delivered
Experience of caseload management and decision-making, working in a regulatory environment or of quality assurance methodologies would be an advantage. Knowledge of the gambling sector would be beneficial, as would project management skills and experience of Lean methodology.
You may have previously worked as a People Manager, Business Change Manager, Change Manager, Workforce Planning Manager, or People & Development Manager.
The closing date for applications is the 26th January 2020.
We reserve the right to change the closing date depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
So, if you want to join a leading regulatory body as a Senior Manager, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.