Private Secretary to the Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Birmingham, West Midlands (with hybrid working)
We are have an exciting opportunity for a Private Secretary to join our team Birmingham where you will support our Deputy Chief Executive Officer (DCEO) to deliver the dual roles as Executive and DCEO, with the overall aim of maximising the DCEO’s time to enable them to focus on top priorities.
- Salary of c£40,000 per annum
- Civil service pension, with an employer contribution rate of 27%
- Flexible working
- Hybrid working, specific guidelines are to be agreed with line manager
- 26 days’ holiday and option to buy up to five days extra annual leave
Joining us means joining an organisation that is certified as a Great Place to work, respects work-life balance, inclusive, and is completely dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential. Whether that’s through flexible working, really understanding how you work best or exposing you to real opportunities to challenge yourself, if you’re passionate about making your mark on the industry and on society, then we will help you do that.
As a Private Secretary, you will provide organisational support, ensuring the office and relevant teams are run efficiently, operate strategically and react effectively to internal and external challenges. You will prepare for, and accompany, the Deputy Chief Executive on visits and engagements, including internal working groups.
Your role will also involve:
- Reacting to evolving issues and making sound decisions, using political judgement when needed, which will impact the DCEO’s agenda and engagement.
- Ensuring corporate obligations are delivered in full and to the required timetable and standard e.g., taking on delegated responsibilities in areas such as performance reporting, absence reporting, objectives setting, internal communication, financial controls and processes.
- Acting as a source of advice for the DCEO on a range of issues, collating best available information and distilling into succinct, user-friendly briefing and other materials.
- Proactively driving forward the DCEO’s priorities, engaging the relevant colleagues in projects and offering appropriate challenge to ensure that work is submitted in a timely fashion and is fit for purpose.
- Managing the DCEO’s inbox, assessing work priorities, assigning actions and providing strategic advice and guidance.
- Delegated budget holder for DCEO office budget, liaising with finance colleagues and ensuring effective budget management at all times.
To be considered as a Private Secretary, you will need:
- The ability to think strategically, understand and communicate the bigger picture with a wider understanding of the Commission’s operating environment, including the political context.
- Experience of planning and organisation skills, with the ability to react quickly and adapt to changing circumstances and manage competing priorities.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand complex and broad issues quickly, rapidly process data and information and using judgement to distil key points and to escalate risks and issues appropriately.
- Highly developed communication skills, both written and oral. Confident building relationships and engaging with a range of senior internal and external stakeholders.
- To be self-motivated, able to work under pressure and at pace.
- Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Set up under the Gambling Act 2005, the Gambling Commission is committed to safeguarding the public against any detrimental impact brought about by gambling. We do this by keeping crime out, protecting children and vulnerable people and ensuring the commercial gambling industry is run fairly and openly. We work with the legal system, the public health system, community groups and the industry itself to understand how we can protect the interests of as many people as possible, as effectively as possible.
The closing date for this role is 2nd June 2023. This is a permanent opportunity, but we are happy to consider a civil service secondment opportunity lasting 2 years.
PLEASE NOTE: incomplete applications will be discounted from short-listing. Please ensure your application is fully completed and submitted before logging out of your account.
We reserve the right to change the closing date depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Private Secretary to the Deputy Chief Executive Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role EA, PA, Executive Assistant, Personal Assistant, Secretary, Receptionist, Senior Administrator, or Team Secretary.