Technical Delivery Manager
Birmingham, West Midlands (with hybrid working)
Set up under the Gambling Act 2005, the Gambling Commission is committed to safeguarding the public against any detrimental impact brought about by gambling. We do this by keeping crime out, protecting children and vulnerable people and ensuring the commercial gambling industry is run fairly and openly. We work with the legal system, the public health system, community groups and the industry itself to understand how we can protect the interests of as many people as possible, as effectively as possible.
We are currently looking for a Technical Delivery Manager to join our team in Birmingham. You will own the prioritisation and delivery of one or more technical projects to support new and existing Digital services. You will be part of the senior management team within the Digital, Data and Technology programme.
- Salary of c£50,000 per annum
- Civil service pension, with employer contributions of 27.9%
- Flexible working
- Hybrid working
- 26 days’ holiday, raising to 29 days after 2 years’ service, plus option to buy up to five days’ extra annual leave
Joining us means joining a dynamic, high-profile sector and being at the cutting edge of regulation, where the work you do has a real impact on people’s lives.
It also means joining an organisation that is inclusive, respects work-life balance and is completely dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential. Whether that’s through flexible working, really understanding how you work best or exposing you to real opportunities to challenge yourself, if you’re passionate about making your mark on the industry and on society, then we will help you do that.
As a Technical Delivery Manager, you will primarily be the technical lead for service and product delivery, whose purpose is to provide technical solutions to meet business requirements and user needs.
Your role will also involve:
- Leading a multidisciplinary technical team, implementing technical services, ensuring they are supported and understand the overall vision and outcomes they need to achieve
- Ensure an efficient software methodology is in place, aligned to agile and/or lean principles
- Create and own the delivery roadmap, working with the Digital Service Owner to prioritise a backlog and translate these into achievable plans and deliverables
- Have oversight over the architecture, working with your technical team and the Infrastructure Team to ensure the systems and solutions you develop are flexible, loosely coupled, documented and deliver performance that is appropriate for business needs
- Create and execute a robust governance process for your team and projects
- Champion clear communication and teamwork
- Excellent knowledge of current platforms and tools, using the correct product where appropriate, especially open source and open standards
- Communicate share learnings, insight, progress and plans across the team and organisation, obtaining feedback and adapting where necessary
- Actively managing risks, issues, and dependencies for your delivery team, acting on delivery data and adapting ways of working to mitigate risks
- Monitor, control and support technical delivery; ensuring systems, methodologies and procedures are in place and followed
- Work collaboratively with Digital Service Owner, user researchers and designers to build knowledge and understanding within the team of each other’s disciplines, business goals and user needs
- Proven track record in technical ownership of projects and products, communicating their value and how they meet business goals and user needs
- Excellent management skills, communicating clear strategy and plans, giving a clear sense of direction to your team and stakeholders
- Experience of delivering digital services at pace, in complex environments and across multiple phases
- Strong background in agile delivery management methodologies, processes and techniques, with an ability to coach those within and outside the team
- Be used to regularly assessing project progress to remove bottlenecks and improve the flow of the end-to-end delivery process
- Experience in leading application developers, system testers and DBAs, understanding team styles, developing and motivating individuals
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build trust, engage and manage stakeholders at all levels
- Be used to spotting warning signs of things going wrong and provide a decisive response
- Identify the main issues in complex problems, clarify understanding or stakeholder expectations, to seek the best option
- Experience managing delivery of services using cloud-based infrastructures, preferably using Microsoft Azure and Microsoft SQL server
- Be used to using data, metrics and previous experience to identify, understand and improve delivery performance
- Experience in monitoring a service’s technical performance and identifying areas of improvement
- Sound understanding of the technology landscape including open-source technologies and modern practices around technical delivery and continuous deployment
- Knowledge of the Digital Service Standard and service assessments
The closing date for this role is 20th May 2022.
We reserve the right to change the closing date depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Technical Delivery Manager, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.