Senior Forensic Accountant
Birmingham, West Midlands (with hybrid working)
Set up under the Gambling Act 2005, the Gambling Commission is committed to safeguarding the public against any detrimental impact brought about by gambling. We do this by keeping crime out, protecting children and vulnerable people and ensuring the commercial gambling industry is run fairly and openly. We work with the legal system, the public health system, community groups and the industry itself to understand how we can protect the interests of as many people as possible, as effectively as possible.
We are currently looking for a Senior Forensic Accountant to join our team in Birmingham. Full-time, part-time and job share applications will be considered for this role.
- Salary of £50,000 - £60,000 per annum
- Civil service pension, with employer contributions of 27.9%
- Flexible working
- Hybrid working
- 26 days’ holiday, raising to 29 days after 2 years’ service, plus option to buy up to five days’ extra annual leave
Joining us means joining a dynamic, high-profile sector and being at the cutting edge of regulation, where the work you do has a real impact on people’s lives.
It also means joining an organisation that is inclusive, respects work-life balance and is completely dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential. Whether that is through flexible working, really understanding how you work best or exposing you to real opportunities to challenge yourself, if you are passionate about making your mark on the industry and on society, then we will help you do that.
As a Senior Forensic Accountant, you will work as part of our Enforcement and Licensing Teams assessing new entrants into the market and holding illicit gambling operators to account. You will play a critical role in keeping our organisation up to date with the gambling industry.
The team assesses and manages high volumes of evidence and uses its specialist knowledge and experience to identify regulatory issues and inform the direction of our investigations and assessments. Using your background in financial audits, financial reporting systems, accounting and auditing standards and procedures, you will conduct detailed and thorough examinations of financial information and legal documents for anomalies, areas of concern, and evidence of regulatory breaches or criminality.
Additionally, you will:
- Collaborate with colleagues, both with and without accounting experience
- Explain complex corporate transactions and financial data clearly and concisely to individuals with no formal accounting experience, using both written and verbal methods of communication
- Support the implementation of change initiatives to support organisational culture and performance improvement in line with our Ways of Working
To be considered as a Senior Forensic Accountant, you will need:
- An accountancy qualification (ACCA or equivalent) with at least six years in the Forensic Accounting practice area. Experience of trusts, partnerships, LLCs, LLPs, stock exchange filings, and special purpose investment vehicles is desirable
- Experience of preparing reports and formal documents that are clear and concise with minimal oversight
- Background in financial audits, financial reporting systems, accounting and auditing standards and procedures
- Experience carrying out detailed open-source research, gathering and analysing complex information, using a careful and methodical approach to recording information and preserving evidential integrity
- Ability to prioritise and progress multiple complex projects under tight deadlines to deliver the highest quality advice
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of seniority
- Conduct detailed and thorough examinations of financial information to identify anomalies and areas of concern, along with any evidence of regulatory breaches or criminal offending
- Experience liaising with regulatory bodies, lawyers, witnesses and law enforcement bodies
The closing date for this role is 26th June 2022.
We reserve the right to change the closing date, depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
As the regulator of the National Lottery, there are some roles within the Commission that are prohibited from playing the National Lottery. This does not affect your family playing. We will let you know at interview if the role you have applied for is on the Prohibited List.
So, if you would like to join us as a Senior Forensic Accountant, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.